PREP TIME: 25 MINUTES
COOKS IN: 40 MINUTES
- 8 egg yolks, sieved
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
For the bottom of the molds:
- soft, unsalted butter
- Place the shredded coconut in a large bowl and pour the coconut milk on top. Mix well and let stand for 15 minutes.
- In another bowl, add the sugar and the sifted egg yolks. Beat with a whisk or handheld mixer until foamy and light in color.
- Add the melted butter, the lemon juice and finally the coconut mixture. Mix well.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Generously butter individual ramekins and cover the bottom and edges with sugar. Add a little more sugar at the bottom.
- Pour the mixture into the ramekins and let stand 10 minutes at room temperature.
- Place ramekins in a bigger baking dish and pour hot water at the bottom.
- Cook in a water bath for about 30-40 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Poke the quindim in the middle with the tip of a knife after 30 minutes. If it’s still ‘liquid’, it’s not ready. If it’s soft then it’s ready. It does not need to be hard.
- Allow to cool before inverting the quindim onto little plates.