PREP TIME: 20 MINUTES
COOKS IN: 90 MINUTES
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped
- 150g butter, chopped
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/2 cups hazelnut meal
- double cream, to serve
- 300g dark chocolate, chopped
- 2/3 cup pure cream
- Preheat oven to 170°C/150°C fan-forced. Grease a 6cm-deep, 20cm (base) round cake pan. Line base and side with baking paper.
- Combine chocolate and butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until melted. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Place egg yolks and sugar in a bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat until thick and creamy. Add chocolate mixture. Beat to combine. Add hazelnut meal. Beat to combine.
- Place eggwhites in a bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat until soft peaks form. Using a metal spoon, stir one-third of eggwhites into chocolate mixture. Gently fold remaining eggwhite through chocolate mixture.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre has moist crumbs clinging. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Make Chocolate icing: Place chocolate and cream in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 3 to 4 minutes or until smooth. Spread over top and side of cake. Stand for 10 minutes or until icing has set. Serve with cream.