(Banh Phu The – Xu Xe)
- 1kg kudzu powder, refined
- 800g refined sugar
- 200g coconut flesh, scraped in thin threads
- 300g green beans
- 50 coconut leaves
- 15 pineapple leaves
- Cut green beans in halves, soak in warm water for five hours. Strain and remove skin of green beans. Rinse.
- Steam green beans and grind into a paste.
- Mix green bean paste with 200g sugar, then cook over a low flame and stir until the mixture loses its sticky texture.
- Spread the mixture 3cm thick on a large tray, cool and cut into 6x6cm square pieces.
- Wash and clean pineapple leaves and cut into 60cm strips so that only the middle remains.
- Arrange the coconut leaves into a square or hexagonal shape to form a box roughly 25x30cm wide and place a pineapple leaf on top.
- Dissolve the kudzu powder and remaining sugar in water. Use two and a half times as much water to the amount of powder.
- Cook over a low flame, stirring until the mixture becomes a paste. Extinguish flame, add threads of coconut flesh and mix well.
- Fill the coconut leaf boxes with the coconut flesh mixture and place the green bean filling in the centre.
- Put the boxes in the steamer and cook for 20 minutes, until the cake becomes clear.