PREP TIME: 90 MINUTES
COOKS IN: 15 mins
- 2 2/3 cups flour (all-purpose)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 to 3 slices of bacon (cooked and chopped)
- 1/2 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 1 ounce bread (day-old)
- 5 ounces frozen spinach (thawed, squeezed dry, and chopped)
- 2 tablespoons parsley (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon mustard (spicy)
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme (dried)
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram (dried)
- 8 ounces beef (ground)
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 to 2 quarts broth (beef or other)
- Garnish: chives or parsley (chopped)
Make the Dough
- Mix 2 2/3 cups of flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 eggs, 1 tablespoon of oil and just enough of the 3 tablespoons water to make a smooth dough.
- Knead for 5 to 10 minutes, until satiny. Form dough into a ball, oil surface, wrap in plastic and let rest for at least 1 hour.
Make the Filling
- Cook bacon and remove from pan. Sauté onions and garlic in bacon drippings until translucent.
- Mix together bacon, onions, garlic, bread, 5 ounces spinach, 2 tablespoons parsley, 1 tablespoon mustard, 1/4 teaspoon thyme, 1/4 teaspoon marjoram, 8 ounces beef, 1 egg, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and a pinch pepper until well combined. If you want a finer texture, put ingredients through a meat grinder, too.
Form the Dumplings
- Roll out half of the dough to 1/8 inch thickness or thinner. You should have a sheet of about 12×18 inches. You also can use a noodle roller to make flat sheets with 1/5 of the dough at a time.
- Score the dough with a knife, one time through lengthwise and five perpendicular cuts to make 1 dozen rectangles.
- Place 1 tablespoon dough on each rectangle.
- Fold rectangle over and pinch sides to close.
- Repeat with the other half of dough.
Cook the Dumplings and Serve
- Bring broth to a simmer and place 1/3 of the maultaschen in the broth. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove and drain. Keep warm if not serving immediately. Repeat with the rest of the maultaschen.
- Serve in a bowl with some broth and sprinkle with chives and parsley.