3/4 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
6 tbsp plain yoghurt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
Handful of toasted walnuts, break into halves or quarters
1. Mix (A) thoroughly, place in an air tight container and leave overnight in the fridge.
2. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Leave aside.
3. Cream butter and sugar till fluffy. Then add in eggs one at a time, mix well before adding vanilla essence.
4. Fold in flour, alternating with yoghurt. Mix in dried fruits mixture and walnuts.
5. Pour batter in 9x4x3 inch loaf pan. Level surface and make a slight depression in the middle.
6. Bake in pre-heated oven 160ºC for 20 – 25 minutes until golden brown. Test with skewer which should come out clean. Remove from oven and leave to cool for about 5 minutes before turning out to cooling rack.
7. Once cake has cool down, turn over and prick holes all over cake with skewer. Brush or pour small amount of brandy or rum or cointreau. Wrap with one layer of cling wrap followed by foil. Keep in the fridge for a few days for the cake to mature before eating.
Tip: It would be easier to slice a fruit cake while it’s cold with a serrated knife rather than room temperature.