PREP TIME: 12 MINUTES
COOKS IN: 35 MINUTES
- 3 cups Buko meat coconut
- 1 ½ cups Brown sugar
- ½ cup Muscovado sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoon Buko juice or Water
- 3 pcs calamansi optional
- Sesame seeds optional
- Banana leaves
- In a large saucepan, combine Muscovado sugar, dark brown sugar, and the Coconut juice then apply heat and bring to a simmer.
- The fire must be the lowest heat possible and cook for about 1 minute until the all the sugar dissolves.
- Add-in the Buko strings and calamansi juice.
- Mix well, make sure to evenly coat the buko strings with sugar , then cook until the sugar syrup thickens and becomes caramelized, it will take about 15 minutes of cooking.
- When the Bukayo mixture becomes very sticky enough to hold its shape, then you are done.
- Turn off the heat, let it cool for a minute or two, then form the mixture into a flat circle on top of a greased banana leaf, repeat the process until you’re done with the rest of the Bukayo mixture then set aside to completely dry.
- When the Bukayo is completely dry, you can now serve it or store in a jar.