PREP TIME: 30 MINUTES
COOKS IN: 45 MINUTES
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups dried coconut , medium cut
- pinch salt
- 1 cup butter , cut in small pieces
FOR THE APRICOT FILLING
- 3 cups chopped dried apricots
- 1 cup sugar
- 1½ cups boiling water
TO MAKE THE CRUMBLE
- Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, coconut and salt.
- Using your hands or a pastry blender cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the it is completely incorporated and the mixture resembles a coarse crumbly meal.
- Press half of the crumb mixture into the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch well greased baking pan.
- Pour and spread the apricot filling evenly over the bottom crumbs.
- Gently sprinkle the remaining crumbs over the apricot filling and press down gently.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 40 – 45 minutes or until light golden brown in color. Cool completely in the pan before cutting into squares and serving.
TO MAKE THE APRICOT FILLING
- Simmer the chopped apricots, sugar and water until the apricots are softened and the mixture comes to a jam-like consistency.
- Alternatively, you can use a good quality apricot jam. You will need about 2½ cups.