(Braised Veal Shanks)
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES
COOKS IN: 2hrs 15 mins
- 1 lb veal shanks (2 fillets of osso buco)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion , diced
- 1 carrot , peeled, diced
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1 cup water
- 2 cubes chicken bouillon
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 14.5 oz tomatoes , diced, from the can
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- Season osso buco (veal shanks) with salt. Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add the veal shanks and cook for about 2 minutes total on high heat, turning once, until golden-browned. Remove the veal to a plate.
- To the same skillet add diced onion, carrots, garlic. Saute on medium heat briefly.
- Add white wine and water, add chicken bullion cubes, mix everything on high heat until chicken bullion cubes dissolve. Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, stir in. Add fresh thyme and stir in.
- Return veal shanks to the skillet.
- Make sure the veal shanks sink in the sauce and touch the bottom of the skillet, with the sauce rising to the sides of each veal shank.
- Place 2 large whole sprigs of rosemary around Osso Buco veal, and sink them in the sauce. You will later remove them so keep them whole. Cover with lid.
- Simmer for 2 hours, occasionally checking to make sure the heat is low enough and that the liquid does not evaporate too much and to check on the softness of the veal. In the end, the liquid should be reduced. If not, increase heat until the sauce reduces and thickens.
- Season with salt if needed. Top veal with chopped parsley and garlic.